The 700 Nitro was developed in 1988 by Jim Bell and William Feldstein and built by Holland & Holland. Feldstein had tried unsuccessfully to get H&H to build a .600 Nitro Express for him, but they had already ceased production and at that stage was not...
This was a Jeffery & Co. development in 1903 as a smokeless alternative to the 4 and 8 Bore Black Powder rifles for use in Africa. The first two specimens were made by BELL, with the last one by Bertrams Australia as a commemorative for Deutsche Waffen Journal...
This was the second rifle, after the 500 RAFIKI that was commissioned by the late Rafik Hariri, President of Lebanon. The 700/577 SAHAR was made for his son Saad.
Based on the 600 Nitro necked to 577 and was made for His Highness Martand Singh, the Maharajah of Rewa around 1929. The last specimen is from the Imperial box with the 750gr. RN.
Shown until the 1903 Kynoch catalogue, but not after that. Rifles were offered up to about 1925.
Early version of the longer case 577
Hand made case with a very "blunt" lead bullet
This was the most popular case length in .577
This second version is a proof load. The double "C" on the first specimen denotes a full cordite load as opposed to "LC" or Light Cordite on the Nitro for BP version. The dummy cartridge with empty red primer pocket is by Kynamco. ...
Third specimen is loaded with a lead ball, probably a gallery/shorter range load, The next one has a Jacob's tube or explosive cap fitted. The first as well as the last specimen both have a steel cap.
Early load with this case length and also progressed to a drawn case and eventually a Nitro for Black Powder load. The first full specimen is a board dummy. The bullet is held by a small steel pin.
Drawn case version of the 2 ½" coiled case. These were early loads but was replaced by the longer versions.
Standard iron base disk riveted to the base cup and case by a hollow primer pocket crimped on both ends.
Same as the specimen on p. 147 of Fleming, this was probably interchangeable with the 577 Snider
This was a proprietary cartridge designed by the well known Scottish firm of Alexander Henry. It is a 2 3/4" 20-gauge brass shotgun cartridge that is necked down to accept a .577 bullet. Proof Load
This is the earlier black powder version of the 20/577 ALEXANDER HENRY, loaded with a lead paper patched bullet with copper tube.
Introduced by George Gibbs in 1911 OPM South Africa Hand stamped, probably by Stewart
RAFIKI means "FRIEND" is Swahili, but that is not the origin of the name for this cartridge. According to THE EXPLORA, it is a remake of the .500 No. 100 4-1/8", which was never produced. The rifle was requested by and named after Rafik Hariri, who was...
Second specimen with a steel capped lead round nose
Probably the 577 3¼ case necked down to .500" This second specimen has a steel cap inserted in the Lead round nose bullet
Most probably by Westley Richards from 577 2¾" cases Dummy by SFM Last specimen by RWS
Originally an ELEY . LONDON ·500 case, this one is nickled and overstamped H·H·N·, for His Highness the Nizam of Hyderabad
Bertrams Australia headstamp The last specimen was probably factory reloaded to Nitro, as can be seen by the spacing, the "NITRO" was added afterwards Notice the very prominent ring crimp on the primer As with the ELEY specimen above, the "NITRO" was added later when...
This is the proprietary loading by Fraser with the oblique ratchet bullet
With the move to smokeless powder there were still many old guns out there that were proofed for black powder loads only. The “Nitro for Black Powder” meant that the cartridges were loaded with smokeless powder/cordite and were proofed for these black powder rifles...
Coiled version of the 500 3" case. ...
Early coiled version with shorter case
Early version with shorter case
This is the .500 Tranter revolver cartridge, although there were carbines also made for it.
From www.realguns.com it states: "The 500 Jeffery made its original appearance in the mid 1920's as the August Schüler Company's 12,7 x 70mm Schuler. As with a number of cartridges of German origin being offered between WWI and WWII, the round was renamed by the...