Introduced by Winchester in 1879 as a higher velocity necked down version of the 44 – 40 Winchester for the Model 1973 rifle. It was also offered by various manufacturers in revolvers.








   Board dummy

The Robin Hood Ammunition Company began as the Robin Hood Powder Co. of Swanton, Vermont in 1896 and was organized under the laws of Vermont two years later in 1898. Over the years, its hierarchy was drawn from former employees of many of the well-known cartridge manufacturers of the times. In December of 1906 with the addition of new backers, it was reorganized as the Robin Hood Ammunition Co., although the company did not cease powder production until 1915. At that time, the company was purchased by Remington-Union Metallic Cartridge Co. After the sale to Remington, with the funds derived, a new company was started named the International Explosives Company, Inc. They made detonators and fuses for artillery ammunition. In March 1917 an explosion at the factory claimed the life of E. M. Funk, one of the former members of the Robin Hood concern, which caused the operation to be discontinued. Remington-UMC continued the Robin Hood name until the end of WWI. (IAA Forum)


Remington Arms – UMC Co., Bridgeport, CT, USA. Export to South American countries (Chile, Argentina) during the 1920’s.














                            NPE case