With the bankruptcy of the Volcanic Arms Company at the end of 1856, all their assets were bought by Oliver Winchester, who converted it to the New Haven Arms Company in April 1857. After the end of the Civil War, Oliver Winchester renamed the company to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company. Winchester still used the old 44 Henry cartridge, but improved the design of the rifle that became the Winchester Model 1866 rifle. The rifles were successful, but the old 44 Henry cartridge remained under powered. The introduction of the Model 1873 was very successful and was called the “Gun that Won the West” and chambered for the newly created 44-40 Winchester became one of the most successful of the Winchester lever action rifles.
The first cartridges were loaded with the Milbank primer, that looked like it was struck by a firing pin.
Peters “Quick Shot”
REM-UMC Headstamp variations
F.M F.L.B (Military Factory Fray Luís Beltrán)
A&W ALLENDORF SCHONEBECK
WM Bullets GmbH, Erwitte, CASES BY STARLINE