This high velocity experimental cartridge was an early German-British effort. The case type (DWM 469A) was manufactured in Germany by DWM. The cartridges were loaded by the British firm STURTEVANT ENGINEERING on contract for the DEUTSCHE GEWEHR PRUFUNGS KOMMISSION (GERMAN RIFLE EXAMINATION COMMISSION). This commission examined new rifles for possible use by the German military.
This is a copy from the notebook of F.W.Jones, chief chemist to Eley Bros. One of Jones’ jobs was to test new cartridges, principally in order to provide Proof cartridges to the London & Birmingham Proof Houses. In 1908 Jones tested a new 5mm rifle cartridge.
The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House also listed a 5mm Proof cartridge as ‘5m/m Rifle (1908) 27.5 grains cordite 85 grain bullet.