The .244 Remington was introduced by Remington Arms Company in 1955 as a necked down version of the .257 Roberts. Rifles marked .244 Remington have a 1 in 12-inch (300 mm) twist and it presented a problem stabilising heavier bullets. It was rebranded by Remington in 1963 as the 6mm Remington but the rifles had a 1 in 9-inch twist which settled the accuracy issues.
Plain base with a groove machined into the base where the headstamp was. These were sold under the Centennial brand name.