The 9.4mm Dutch was adopted in 1873 for the M1873 Chamelot-Delvigne system revolver and with its adoption, the cartridge was named the Scherpe Patroon nr.11 (Ball Cartridge No. 11) and was packaged in boxes containing twelve rounds. It is interesting to note that the cartridge was loaded both with straight and bottle-necked cases. Early production was without headstamp with soft-nosed lead bullet. In 1887 the cartridge was renamed to the Scherpe Patroon nr.5 (Ball Cartridge No. 5) and was issued in packets of six rounds. During the mid-1920’s the Dutch purchased several batches from European manufacturers as well as Birmingham in England. These bore the date at the top and the manufacturer initial at the bottom of the headstamp. These were shipped as empty cases and were assembled at the Artillerie Inrichtingen (AI) Hembrug. It was also manufactured by other companies in England and Europe but did not survive beyond the 1930’s. (Erlmeier, Brandt Ref. 142).
The S on the headstamp are for cases from Solothurn and the D is for Durlach
The army also used a teargas cartridge for training purposes with an extended case and red wax seal.
The Dutch Army also approved a blank cartridge to be used with horse cavalry training as well as troop practice. It consisted of a sawdust filled paper ball, dipped in varnish and loaded with black powder.
interesting headstamp from the old Liege Proofhouse.