The 9mm Browning Long was designed by the famous John M. Browning for FN in Belgium in 1902 and was first adopted in 1903 for the Browning M.1903. it is basically a scaled-up version of the 7.65mm Browning and also retains the semi-rim. It should have been a very successful design, but the introduction of the 9mm Parabellum at the same time made the Browning Long doomed from the start. (Erlmeier, Brandt Ref. 116).
First specimen with no headstamp listed as unknown. Specimen with four stars were by Gustlof Werke after the Hirtenberger merger. AEP was by Anciens Ètablissements Pieper, Belgium. The specimen with code 26 was by Svenska Metallverken AB, Västerås. CA is by Century International Arms Florida, with cases made for them by Norma. The specimen with CG was made by the Nordic Ammunition Company (NAMMO) and the CG referred to Bofors Carl Gustaf AB. The headstamps with H was by Rheinische Metallwaaren- und Maschinenfabrik, Düsseldorf and was manufactured between May to October 1918.
The Headstamp with K was by Karlsborg Munitions Factory (Karlskrona Naval Factory). Kynoch manufactured cartridges were first listed in the 1914 Kynoch catalogue. LBC was by Leon Beaux & Company, Italy and was listed from 1932 onwards. The headstamps with CROWN and M was by Ammunitionsfabriken Marieberg, Stockholm. METALLVERKEN was by AB Svenska Metallverken for the 9m/m (Skarpa) pistolpatroner m/07, their designation for the 9mm Browning Long. MIDWAY dates from around 1980 – 81. Specimen with SB headstamp was by Sellier & Bellot, Prague.
Specimen with SB headstamp was by Sellier & Bellot, Prague.