This is the third in a series of experimental cartridges developed by DWM and Mauser between 1912 and 1914. It was also the only one that went beyond the experimental stage and was produced for Russia an Brazil, but was discontinued around the start of the First World War in 1914. This cartridge is similar to the 9mm Parabellum but is identified by the DWM K 487C K headstamp. (Erlmeier, Brandt Ref. 134).